ARROYO PLASTIC SURGERY
Liposuction Houston TX
Liposuction – also known as lipoplasty – is a plastic surgery procedure that removes stubborn fat from various body parts in order to restore an aesthetically appealing, natural contour. Accumulation of excess fat in the body may be caused by an unhealthy diet or genetic susceptibility. This often leads to stubborn fat pockets in certain areas like the lower abdomen, hips, arms, chin, neck, back, or outer thighs. For many individuals, exercise and diet does not help get rid of this stubborn fat. Liposuction is the procedure of choice for patients who are looking to get rid of excess fat, reshape, and sculpt their body in order to improve proportionality and overall physique.
Houston, TX plastic surgeon Dr. Christian Arroyo offers lipoplasty to patients in his Houston backyard, as well as surrounding Texas cities of Bellaire, Jacinto City, Gelana Park, Pasadena, Cloverleaf, Aldine, and more. He performs liposuction surgery with the goal of giving men and women a well-contoured, aesthetically pleasing physique. Dr. Arroyo understands that the needs of different individuals are unique and goes out of his way to create a highly customized treatment plan for each patient.
More so, the surgeon utilizes advanced surgical techniques to achieve the desired liposuction goals while minimizing the risk of scarring and other side effects.
Am I a good candidate for Liposuction?
Liposuction is a cosmetic procedure to remove troublesome fat deposits and sculpt the body to a better-contoured, slimmer look. You may be an ideal candidate for liposuction procedure if you:
- Have troublesome fat deposits that are not responsive to exercise and diet
- Have good skin tone and elasticity
- Have maintained a Body Mass Index of under 30
- Are near your ideal body weight goal
- Are active and want to achieve a more sculpted physical appearance
Dr. Arroyo reminds his patients that lipoplasty is not a substitute for weight loss and does not tackle the problem of excess loose skin. During your first liposuction consultation at his Houston office, the surgeon will listen to your concerns, examine your body, and let you know whether this procedure is for you. If you are a smoker, Dr. Arroyo will ask that you quit at least 4 weeks before the treatment.
Dr. Arroyo’s Liposuction Approach
Types of Liposuction in West Houston, TX
Dr. Arroyo can perform a range of procedure options depending on the requirements of the patient and the goals of the surgery:
- Traditional lipo – this is the oldest and most common type of liposuction available. The surgeon will make an incision in the targeted area and use a special device known as a cannula to remove excess fat. Most patients tend to experience significant pain and bruising during recovery. As a result, this traditional approach has been replaced with modern techniques.
- Tumescent lipo – also referred to as Suction Assisted Lipectomy, this is a safer and easier procedure. The surgeon will first inject a tumescent fluid (including saline, lidocaine, and epinephrine) that preps fat in the targeted area. This special fluid is also important to minimize tissue trauma and blood loss during treatment. Dr. Arroyo will then make an inconspicuous incision and insert a cannula (surgical hollow tube) to suction fat cells out of the problem area. This procedure is recommended for removing small amounts of fat especially around the neck and chin.
- Power-Assisted lipo – in this type of liposuction, the surgeon will use a special vibrating device that easily breaks down and suctions large volumes of fat tissues. This allows for a smoother and easier fat removal procedure.
- Ultrasound-Assisted lipo – the surgeon will use an ultrasonic device that vibrates very rapidly and gives off ultrasound energy, helping break and separate fat before it is suctioned out of the body.
- Energy- Assisted lipo – the surgeon may use laser energy, heat energy, or sound waves to aid the fat removal process. The energy heats up and liquefies the fat cells in the targeted treatment area – making it easier to suction unwanted fat cells. This procedure also stimulates skin retraction for a more effective procedure outcome.
Dr. Arroyo will take you through each of these treatment methods during one of your pre-op consultations. Depending on your problem areas and expectations, the surgeon will recommend the best way forward to achieve your goals.
Dr. Arroyo’s Unique Sedation Method
During liposuction, Dr. Christian Arroyo utilizes a unique sedation method that is referred to as Total Intravenous Sedation (TIVA). This technique is considered to be generally safer, and allows the patient to breathe on their own without any intubation during surgery. Furthermore, patients do not suffer from side effects such as nausea and vomiting, and pain associated with general anesthesia. Once you have been prepped for the surgery, the surgeon’s team will administer a specific type of intravenous sedation known as Desuvia. This is an oral version that many of his liposuction patients find to be very comfortable and preferable. It utilizes less medication and has lower chances of resulting in anesthesia side effects such as respiratory depression.
How is Liposuction Performed?
Recovery From A Liposuction Procedure
The recovery timeline from a liposuction surgery may vary from one patient to the other depending on the number of problem areas that need to be addressed. Patients can expect to experience soreness, bruising, and swelling after the surgery – but these often dissipate after a couple of days. Dr. Arroyo will prescribe medication to help increase your comfort level throughout the recovery duration. You will be required to wear a special compression garment that helps minimize swelling as well as speed up the healing process. Dr. Arroyo will assess your healing progress during one or more post-operative appointment(s). On average, most of Dr. Arroyo’s patients are able to get back to their regular schedules after 2-3 weeks. Strenuous activities and exercises should be avoided until you get the go-ahead from the surgeon. Make sure to strictly adhere to Dr. Arroyo’s post-operative instructions in order to ensure a speedy and uninterrupted recovery.
Plan Your Liposuction
in West Houston, TX
Liposuction Houston FAQ
Are the results for liposuction permanent?
The goal of liposuction is to address stubborn pockets of fat that have not improved with diet and exercise. In order to get the most out of this procedure, Dr. Arroyo recommends that you maintain a healthy diet and exercise routine. Keep in mind that gaining weight will lead to an increase in fat, negatively impacting your liposuction, and perhaps even making it necessary to have another procedure in the future.
Can liposuction help in weight loss?
According to the surgeon, liposuction should not be a substitute for weight loss but rather getting rid of troublesome fat tissues from the body. One also needs to have an ideal weight to be considered a good candidate for this procedure.
Will I have visible scars?
Scars are an inevitable consequence of any surgical procedure where the skin is cut. Dr. Arroyo employs his advanced surgical skills to ensure that incisions are minimal and concealed. Many of the surgeon’s liposuction patients are happy with the outcome of this procedure and are not worried about scarring.