ARROYO PLASTIC SURGERY
Breast Implant Revision Houston, TX
Breast augmentation is the most popular cosmetic surgery procedure in the United States. With a satisfaction rate above 96%, hundreds of thousands of women who receive this cosmetic treatment each year are happy with the outcome. However, there is a small percentage of these patients that may be unhappy with their new breasts due to imperfections or complications such as capsular contracture, which most commonly presents as breast hardening and/or pain. Breast revision is the procedure of choice to address aesthetic or physical concerns following a prior augmentation surgery.
Houston, TX plastic surgeon Dr. Christian Arroyo offers breast implants revision surgery to patients in his Houston backyard, as well as surrounding Texas cities of River Oaks, Bellaire, Katy, Memorial, Briarforest, Sugarland, Pearland, Kingwood, Jacinto City, Galena Park, Pasadena, Cloverleaf, Aldine, Spring, the Woodlands, and more. Dr. Arroyo’s goal with this procedure is to achieve the aesthetic outcome that the patient desired in the first place. The surgeon will keenly listen to your concerns, study your prior breast augmentation surgery, and craft a highly customized treatment plan to achieve your goals. More so, the surgeon utilizes advanced surgical techniques to achieve the desired breast revision outcome while lowering the risk of scarring and other side effects.
Reasons for Breast Implant Revision Surgery in Houston, Texas
There are many reasons why a woman may choose to undergo breast revision surgery. These may include the following:
- Capsular contracture – this refers to the formation of excess scar tissue around the implant after the initial augmentation surgery. This breast augmentation complication may lead to a hard feeling in the breast and can even cause pain. Silicone implants tend to have a higher risk of capsular contraction (10-15%) compared to saline implants (5%). Dr. Arroyo will typically address this issue by removing the scar tissue along with the implant in a breast revision procedure known as en bloc capsulectomy.
- Implant rupture – there is a small chance that breast implants may rupture, necessitating a revision plastic surgery. Saline implants tend to visibly deflate (due to the loss of the saline solution to the surrounding tissue) when they leak. However, silicone implants come with the risk of a ‘silent rupture’. This means that if the implant ruptures, there will be no visible change in the breast due to the viscosity of the silicone gel contained in this type of implants. Dr. Arroyo recommends that patients who have silicone implants receive periodic MRI scans to ascertain that the implant is still intact. The surgeon will address a rupture by removing and addressing the affected breast implant.
- Breast rippling – this refers to wrinkling that can occur underneath or along the side of the breast. This breast augmentation complication is more common with saline implants and results in an unnatural appearance under the skin. Breast implant rippling is more common in women who are very thin. There are multiple ways to address this issue that you can discuss with Dr. Arroyo during your Houston, TX consultation.
- Double bubble implants – this is a rare breast augmentation complication that occurs when implants drop down behind the natural breast crease. This gives the breasts an unnatural, double-fold appearance. Double bubble implants are typically caused by incorrect placement of breast implants in the original surgery. Severe capsular contracture may also displace the implant from its initial position, resulting in this complication. The method selected for correcting this condition will be determined by its cause, as well as the patient’s aesthetic preferences.
- Breast implant removal – it is not uncommon for women who had a breast augmentation to decide to have their implants removed. Some of the reasons for this may include lifestyle changes, complications such as capsular contracture, or breast cancer diagnosis. Depending on the needs of the patient, Dr. Arroyo may remove the implant and perform a breast lift procedure to maintain a pleasing breast appearance.
- Dissatisfaction with breast size – a small proportion of breast augmentation plastic surgery patients will be dissatisfied with the size of their new breasts. These may decide – at a later date – to have breast revision surgery in order to replace the existing implant with one that has a more fulfilling size, shape, or texture. Some women may opt to change their type of implant from saline to silicone. Dr. Arroyo will address the revision procedure to suit your personal needs and preferences.
- Bottoming out – breast implants tend to ‘ride high’ immediately after a breast augmentation, and indeed take time before they settle in the right position. If there is no adequate support during this process, the implant may drop far too down within the breast pocket – causing what is referred to as bottoming out. This complication of augmentation plastic surgery is caused by weak tissue, having implants that are too large for you, or improper surgeon skills. Dr. Arroyo will perform revision breast plastic surgery to move and support the implant into the right position.
Dr. Arroyo’s Unique Sedation Method
Candidates:Houston Breast Revision
Breast revision is a plastic surgery procedure to address dissatisfaction with the outcome of a previous breast augmentation surgery. You may be a good candidate for breast revision surgery if:
- You are in good physical and emotional health
- You have breast augmentation complications such as capsular contracture, rippling, bottoming out, and implant rupture
- You are dissatisfied with the size of your breasts after a breast augmentation procedure
Following your visit to Dr. Arroyo’s Houston office, the surgeon will listen to your concerns, examine your breasts, and let you know whether this procedure can be beneficial for you. Detailed measurements of your breasts will be taken, and the surgeon will also evaluate your skin quality and nipple positioning. Once Dr. Arroyo has all the necessary information, he will discuss a customized treatment plan to meet your goals. He will do this by using a state of the art virtual consultation tool in which he will be able to show you in real time what the procedure would entail, where the scars would be located and what you can expect using your own pictorial anatomy. This initial consultation visit is very important not only to create your breast revision surgery road map but also to get all your questions answered. Make sure to clearly discuss your expectations with the surgeon, as well as gain insight into the recovery process. If you are a smoker, the surgeon will ask that you quit at least 4 weeks before the procedure. More so, Dr. Arroyo emphasizes that all patients ensure that they are undergoing this treatment strictly for themselves, not because someone else asked them to.
Recovery after Breast Revision Surgery in West Houston, TX
Plan Your Procedure
in Houston, Texas
Breast Revision FAQ
Can I change implant size or type with revision surgery?
Yes. One of the most common reasons why women choose to pursue breast augmentation revision is so they can change the shape, size, or type of implant selected for the initial procedure. You may want to have implants that are a little smaller, or a little larger to better suit your aesthetic preferences. Some women choose to exchange the type of implant (saline vs silicone). Regardless of your concerns and reasons for revision surgery, Houston plastic surgeon Dr. Christian Arroyo will work with you to achieve the desired outcome.
Will there be more scarring?
Whenever possible, Dr. Arroyo uses your initial breast augmentation surgery scars to perform the revision – in order to minimize the possibility of additional scarring. Following the procedure, the surgeon will also provide a stringent scar care regimen to help fade scars resulting from this treatment as much as possible.
What will the results look like?
The final outcome of your breast revision in Houston should match your closely-held aesthetic goals. Dr. Arroyo works keenly to deliver breasts that are flattering and symmetrical with each revision surgery. The surgeon will also utilize advanced surgical techniques to minimize the risk of scarring and potential side effects. The planned results will also be discussed and displayed using Dr. Arroyo’s state of the art virtual consultation tool during your appointment. Many women who have a breast revision feel happier and more confident about the appearance of their breasts.